Monday, December 20, 2010
This afternoon I did something I haven't been able to do for six months - I switched the wireless mouse from the left back to the right side of my computer and was able to move it about and click with it - poorly and inaccurately, but do-able.
This is a big achievement for me as it would have set off a seizure in the past (before Avastin). I can do it for only a couple of minutes at a time, though, as it makes me feel a weird sort of mental discomfort after a while. With time and patience I may be able to increase this mobility. I have to think hard about how to click and even harder how to use the scroll button.
The major drawback I have discovered is that there are not enough signals getting through to/from the brain to be able to really lift the mouse, meaning I run out of room on the mousepad like the first time ever you might have used a computer mouse. It feels as if it weighs about three kilos to lift with that hand. If you find that odd, imagine how it feels to me!
The only solution is practice. Painfully slow, frustrating but repetitive attempts to do what a two-year old can learn to do in two minutes.
There is not a chance yet that I can use the right hand again for the keyboard as it can barely hold up its own weight and all the fingers drag over all the keys on the keyboard. But let me try:
Merry Criistmas, everyyone!
That wasn't so bad, though I have to admit I used the left hand for the left hand keys, so that half of the keyboard was covered.... and it took ages for the right hand keys. Let's try something more ambitious:
Now is the time for a,ll god me to come to the aid of the party.
The quick brown fox umps over te lazy dog.
I'm quite proud of that!
I promise to work on it. This is probably great therapy. It may even reduce the 'weight' of the mouse.